The Witches of BlackBrook Review



The Witches of BlackBrook: A Novel
by Tish Thawer
DNF
Publisher: Amber Leaf Publishing
Publish Date: 2015
     Through space and time, sisters entwined. Lost then found, souls remain bound.
     Three sisters escape the Salem witch trials when the eldest casts a spell that hurdles their souls forward through time. After centuries separated, fate has finally reunited them in the present day.
     One the healer, one the teacher, and one the deceiver.
     Will their reunion return their full powers, or end their souls' journey forever? 

     When I first saw the blurb for this book, I was really excited. I was really excited because the book includes/mentions the Salem witch trials. I LOVE the Salem trials. It was probably the most interesting topic in the Social Studies curriculum, along with WW2: The Holocaust. It [witch trials] had so much drama, hype, tension, and false accusations! What isn't to like?!
     Sure, this book has a lot of drama. But, was it the drama I was expecting? No. The drama seemed very Real Housewives-esque.
     The main character lives in the modern world and that's where most of the story revolves around. But, there are flashbacks (Of sorts) that take place in the past. These flashbacks were boring to read because nothing much happened. The present was also pretty boring.
     I didn't sit down and drink this book in. I took very long breaks from it.
     I thought this book was going to be The Craft with the three sisters, who worship the Goddess aka Mannon. I got excited, but that died down from the dialogue and the writing.
     The writing was not my cup of tea. It was a little too wordy and long for my taste. Plus, the dialogue was unexpected. You want to know why? Okay, grown ups talk to each other in a one dimensional way that resembles a teen speaking with his/her crush. Everyone was too happy/go-lucky in my opinion. The kids in the "flashbacks", spoke with more maturity than the adults.
     Finally, after reading that synopsis a little more closely and reading a little excerpt, you know exactly what happens, so there isn't a need to read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!