The Divide Review


The Divide (Dreamland #2)
by E.J. Mellow
Publish Date: October 15, 2015
        Molly finally uncovers the truth about the strange dreams that plagued her sanity for weeks. Now destined to accept a clandestine role, Molly must find the strength and courage buried deep to push forward and succeed.
        With the help of Dev, the roguish blue-eyed man of her dreams, whose dark past resurfaces to haunt him. Molly prepares to test the limits of her newly awakened powers and set right a world on the edge of being consumed by nightmares.
        But when an unknown shadow stalks her every step and a shocking revelation about her ancestry comes to light, Molly may find herself forced to make a decision that could leave her alone in the dark and standing on the wrong side of a divide.
     The covers so far are GORGEOUS. Breathtaking. If you haven't seen them, I'll put them on the bottom of this post.
     This book was one of my most anticipated reads because I loved the first book and all the characters. But, I was kind of disappointed (#alwaysdisappointed)
     This series is very Avatar the Last Airbender meets Stitchers. It introduces saving the dream world and getting memories from previous dreamers. With Divergent "simulations"
     The Divide fell short of my expectations. I loved the book that preceded this book. I loved the sci-fi element to the book. I thought it was really original, cool and innovative. I fell in love with the characters and the whole world. It's just breathtaking.
     But, this book was just meh. I think it took me a million years to finish this book. If it weren't for my late night binging, I would have not finished this book.
     Everything was just so mundane. It felt like high school to me. It was meh. It had its highlights and it had its low points.
     The author mixes sci fi with "contemporary". This is an urban fantasy and I don't think it had a balance. I enjoyed the sci-fi/fantasy aspect A LOT more than the "urban aspect". I really didn't care about the relationship with Jared. The friendship with (Becca?) was funny. It added a new dynamic, but it wasn't my favorite. I was honestly kind of annoyed with it. I just wanted to be in Terra the whole time.
     I thought there was a lot of cheesy romantic lines (the ones not on purpose) and a really cheesy friendship. It border lines tacky. It was low key tacky. I can't believe I'm saying this but, Dev grated in my nerves, and not in the good way.
     The writing is beautiful. It's lyrical and other worldly. It has the right amount of it too. It wasn't jam packed with it like Shatter Me.
     I have a love hate relationship with Molly using her powers with ease. I enjoy seeing characters struggle with their abilities, so you can see the improvement and all that jazz. But, the natural talent saves so much time. It's just very special snowflake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!