Hopeless Review


Hopeless (Hopeless #1) by Colleen Hoover
Publish date: December 17, 2012
Publisher: Self
       Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…
       That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.
       Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.
          This book took me a while to finish. I wasn't the biggest fan and won't continue with the series. (I don't understand why it's a series. It had a great ending. It brought closure and doesn't need a continuation. It doesn't need novellas either.)
         This book isn't told in two point of views, which threw me kind of off balance. I'm so used to two POVs in CoHo books. But as the story progressed, I appreciated the single POV.
         The story is told in Sky's POV. I hated it. She went gaga over a guy and was so extremely love sick. I found her to be too much. I was disgusted by the overwhelming amount of affection. I rolled my eyes and got sick. (You can make a drinking game with this book) Her inner dialogues consisted mostly of "I'm a tormented soul", "why does he act like this?", "damn he's hot", "I love him", "he's so perfect", "he's so frustrating and intense", "I want to save him from his demons" kind of thing. I found Sky to be incredible annoying and dense.
         I found Sky dense because she fell in love with Dean, despite the whole meet-up situation. So, Sky was on line at the grocery store and Dean was behind her. Sky goes, "he's hot" in her head. There's a little bit of eye sex and she runs out. After she runs out, Dean runs to her and kinda "tails her". He starts chatting up with her. After some disagreement over something extremely petty and stupid, SKY SHOWS DEAN HER DRIVER'S LICENSE. Then, Dean takes it and MEMORIZES it. Sky takes off and after Sky leaves, Dean PUNCHES A CAR! He then STALKS her. I guess Sky finds stalkers/creepy people incredibly attractive...
         Sky found the flower language coming out Dean's mouth to be perfect, I thought it was really fake and barf worthy. It was super cheesy and romantic. The whole book had flowery, romantic air in its writing. It got "serious", but it wasn't unrealistic. It wasn't heart-wrenching. I didn't feel particularly attached to the characters or story. I get that this is a work of fiction and it's not real, but I would still like a little realism.
Hint: Finding Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!