NOVELLA: THE DREAMCATCHER



The Dreamcatcher (Dreamland #1.5)
by E.J. Mellow
Publishing: February 26, 2016 | Four Eyed Owl
Status: Finished
       He captured hearts and now he’s captured the spotlight.
       Experience The Dreamcatcher, a novella comprised of scenes from The Dreamer told from Dev’s point of view, as well as seven extra scenes that did not appear in book one!
       *This is a companion piece to The Dreamland Series and is to be read after The Dreamer for story consistency and spoilers.*
       Can we just take a moment to appreciate the beauty that is the cover... Seriously, who designs it?! Beautiful, captivating backgrounds. Anyway...
       I was a bit disappointed, (when am I not?) by this novella because I expected to read about Dev's history, but it was The Dreamer in his POV. I really need to read synopses. It's not bad, but I expected something else.
       I don't know if any of you guys watch Lucifer on FOX, but if you do and like it, you'll like this novella/this series. I saw the characters and the dynamic in this book parallel the show. Dev is obviously Lucifer. They're both overconfident and all that jazz, but their attitudes/demeanor comes off as charming and is attractive, for some reason. If someone in real life acted like that, they would be considered a douche. I guess it's because they both have "magnetic", "alluring personas", or something. Aveline is Mazikeen. Aveline is kind of like Dev's protégé and Mazikeen is Lucifer's companion in the human world. They realize the changes in their friend and worry about them. They may come off a little bitchy/aggressive, but they come from a loving place.
       The writing went back and forth. It was calm with little conversations with people, then Molly pops in and Dev turns up his charm, along with the sexual tension. It was always like that. The writing was also was bumpy and inconsistent. There's a time gap between chapters and this makes it really hard to get into the chapter. It jumps to a scene and you have to recall it while you're being jolted, jostled, bumped, etc. It really felt like that when I was reading it. There wasn't much of a transition.
       It's like jumping out of a helicopter. A good transition is falling out of a helicopter with a parachute. It's a slow descent and there's a soft landing. I felt like Leonardo DiCaprio when I read this book; I had to free fall and brace for impact.
       The romance... I question the romance. I thought it was too fast. I understand there was an attraction, but it felt really insta-love-y. The lines...
An enticing feminine voice.
Leaving him the perfect specimen of endurance.
She tasted like the richest fruits, her skin softer than the finest market silks, and her body was like fire under his touch.
She was absolutely exquisite.
Luscious short-skirted.
Tonight, he did not share in the carefree whims of his brethren, nor did the siren's beat succeed in luring away his worries.
       It felt very Kresley Cole and Fifty Shades of Grey. You expect this romance in an erotica novel/series. It has that tone that fits in erotica, but it doesn't fit the book.
       I did enjoy revisiting the world. I really love this world because it's so different and imaginative. I haven't read any book like this, a dreamer is transported to this world and is expected to save it... I just realized that this is kind of the plot to The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!