HE WILL BE MY RUIN REVIEW


He Will Be My Ruin
K.A. Tucker
Atria Books | February 2, 2015
          Twenty-eight-year-old Maggie Sparkes arrives in New York City to pack up what’s left of her best friend’s belongings after a suicide that has left everyone stunned. The police have deemed the evidence conclusive: Celine got into bed, downed a bottle of Xanax and a handle of Maker’s Mark, and never woke up. But when Maggie discovers secrets in the childhood lock box hidden in Celine’s apartment, she begins asking questions. Questions about the man Celine fell in love with. The man she never told anyone about, not even Maggie. The man who Celine herself claimed would be her ruin.
          On the hunt for answers that will force the police to reopen the case, Maggie uncovers more than she bargained for about Celine’s private life-and inadvertently puts herself on the radar of a killer who will stop at nothing to keep his crimes undiscovered. 

This book made my mind run. It felt like a dog chasing its tail. It goes in a circle with a lot of hope, but it gets nowhere. I did enjoy the writing. K.A. Tucker kept me in suspense and enraptured. Although the writing was great, I thought the book was rather long, or rather it was slow paced. It was very sloth-like.

I loved the characters, well most of them. I say, "the characters are diverse" a lot and don't mean it most of the time, but the characters in this book really are diverse and they're interesting. There are characters from all ages and trades.

Hans the Art AppraiserI enjoyed his flamboyancy and passion for art. He was a very cute character, along with Ruby (she's a charming old lady.)

Maggie the Non-Profit Owner and Energy Company Heiress: I have a love/hate relationship with her. I love the fact that she works in non-profit, her awareness of the problems in the world, her desire to resolve the problems and her determination; but, I found her annoying at times.

Jace the Hot & Rich Guy I Hate Reading About in Books: This type of character is an overused NA trope. The protagonist is often attracted to this character and is driven my lust. However, Maggie and Jace don't hit it off. Maggie has this intense loathing and ulterior motives. It was a very pleasant surprise.

I somewhat enjoyed the two POVs in this book. I like how bits of Celine's past is dashed between Maggie's chapters and how it intertwines into the main plot. But, I really didn't enjoy Celine. Her personality... She's a love sick little puppy psychotic. Celine believes that Jace is The One and tried everything in her power to win him back. She was so obsessed with him. Think
She's also incredibly proud, there's nothing wrong with that, but she develops misplaced feelings. Maggie wants to help Celine financially and she's coming from a good place. Maggie is using her wealth for "good" because she's trying to help our her family. Celine feels like charity and that she's pitied, which is understandable, but given the situation... It's not really pity. Maggie genuinely cares about Celine's well being. I thought Celine was a shitty person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!