PURE EPICNESS | THE MIDNIGHT STAR REVIEW



The Midnight Star (The Young Elites #3)
by Marie Lu
Putnam | October 11, 2016
Source: SocialBookCo
        There was once a time when darkness shrouded the world, and the darkness had a queen.
        Adelina Amouteru is done suffering. She’s turned her back on those who have betrayed her and achieved the ultimate revenge: victory. Her reign as the White Wolf has been a triumphant one, but with each conquest her cruelty only grows. The darkness within her has begun to spiral out of control, threatening to destroy all that she’s achieved.
        Adelina’s forced to revisit old wounds when a new danger appears, putting not only Adelina at risk, but every Elite and the very world they live in. In order to save herself and preserve her empire, Adelina and her Roses must join the Daggers on a perilous quest—though this uneasy alliance may prove to be the real danger.
I've partnered up with SocialBookCo again. Thank you so much for this copy! SocialBookCo is a price comparison website that strives to help you find the best book deals. They sent me this book for review. If you click the link and purchase the book, I will receive a small commission. That has NOT swayed my review in ANY WAY, rest assured.

A very long time ago, I did this post about trilogies. Trilogies either crash and burn, or they rise to the occasion. The Young Elites Trilogy is one of the best, consistent, epic, and amazing trilogies that I have read so far. It's one of the best trilogies out there. 

Getting acquainted with the book/throwing myself back into the world of the Young Elites was a challenge. I remember encountering the same problem when I was reading The Rose Society. I forgot numerous Elites. I vaguely remembered their names and their talents. It was also hard to remember what happened in the previous book too. Although it's such a high-octane story with amazing characters, I forgot it because of the time and books in between. I DEFINITELY recommend you start this series now because all the books are out! Marathon it and I guarantee you'll love it.

I usually talk about characters, but I'm just gonna talk about one character in particular because she STEALS the show.

Adelina... I never considered her a "villain". Sure, she does some not-so-great things and she's somewhat ruthless, but who isn't? Then, the story further develops and I am terrified of her. She has this looming presence and a chilling aura. She's also slightly sadistic. Adelina is a dark, complicated and slightly twisted individual, which I really love. I love her "duality" and her humanity. She can be truly cruel and evil, but she's plagued and haunted by her misdeeds. She feels "remorse" and pain, something I don't see in villains often. Watching her suffer made me sympathize for her and worry about her. I understood her, slightly pitied her and cared for her. She also compares herself to people and feels "insignificant"/insecure. She doubts herself and I thought this was such a normal and relatable emotion.

Adelina is everything a villain should be, in my opinion. You hate her, but she redeems herself at the end. BTW, I cried at the end of the book. The ending stabbed my heart. It was such an AMAZING, beautiful and perfect conclusion. It's bittersweet because of the somewhat depressing ending and it's the last book, but I wouldn't have it end in any other way. It was a satisfying conclusion and the loose ends were tied in a neat, pretty little bow.

The story is very fresh and interesting. It has some classic YA-tropes but the magic, characters and the story makes it forgivable. It's such a great concept. There's this world where boys and girls are gifted with powers after overcoming a sickness-powers given by the Gods. They are different and people hate that. But, they band together and fight their oppressors. It's very X-Men. In this installment, I was surprised by everything and I glided through this very quickly. It's interesting and unpredictable, but with some tropes. The gods really come into play, the stakes are so much higher, and there's more intrigue/depth. The conflict in the plot and what ensued is truly magical. I was guessing and left wanting more. This book is one of those one-sitting reads. You're glued and enraptured by the books. 

I am so pleased with how this series ended. It pulled at my heartstrings. Highlight for mild spoiler [People die!] There was action, vivid imagery and so much insight on the characters. Marie Lu revealed more about the characters we love before she took them away from us. This book is perfect. This is what induces book slumps because it's so good. I CANNOT emphasize how much you need to read this series, so you can read this marvelous conclusion.

4 comments:

  1. I loved the first book in the young elites series but I haven't gotten to any others yet! These books are definitely must-reads for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please get to them RIGHT NOW/ASAP! It's such an epic story with twists and so much action.

      Delete
  2. I agree! I loved the ending even though it hurt me so much. "Marie Lu revealed more about the characters we love before she took them away from us" this statement cannot be any more true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt this way especially because I was thrown back into the story after a long time. It was so nice to see all the characters again, but they left me in the end. :'(

      Delete

Let's discuss!