SHOW RECS, SORTA

I love finding new and weird books, television shows, movies, and miscellaneous objects. End of the F***ing World surpassed my expectations. The show is Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom meets Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction. The plot and dialogue were outrageous and absurd, Anderson's style down to the dog. The show also has grunge, grime, and filth too, Tarantino's style. I love the juxtaposition of the characters too-James is lanky, awkward, secretive, "closet-psychopath" and adorably (because he's so awkward) fascinating; Alyssa is loud, crass, and offensive. Their unexpected dynamic was a joy to watch, which is how I ended up finishing the season in one sitting. I loved getting to know their backstory, getting to know them, and seeing the adventures they go on. Little side note, I love how their color schemes switch. Alyssa is first seen wearing bold red, and James wears muted colors. Once they go on the road, Alyssa looks like an older version of Eleven, and James opts for a red Hawaiian shirt. I CANNOT WAIT FOR SEASON 2. 

I love RuPaul's Drag Race! I love the show because drag queens are such talented, influential, and entertaining artists. There are many types of drag too: comedy queens, pageant queens, Dragula, etc. This show showcases everybody's differences, personalities, and talents. I got my friend and my sister hooked on this show. It's entertaining, fun, and jaw-dropping. Right now, All Stars Season 3 is running, it's such great btw. I see my favorite queens, and I'm learning to appreciate new queens. (Team Trixie all the way.) I'm assuming most of you aren't aware of/watch this show, so let me explain. 

RuPaul's Drag Race is a competition-reality show, where drag queens from the USA compete to become America's Next Drag Superstar. So far, there have been 9 "regular" seasons. Each season has around 9-14 queens. The queens are "tested" on their fashion, comedy, sewing, creativity, singing, dancing, acting, etc. Basically, it's the most entertaining show on TV because of the variety. There's a lot of drama, sisterhood, shade, and amazing runways. You will be amazed by what they can do! I am ecstatic that this show and culture is being embraced more people-many popular YouTube channels are doing "I follow x-drag queen's make-up" tutorials. It's important to expose people to various cultures, so they can grow to accept them. 


If you enjoy the show as much as I do, I recommend you watch UNHhhh, which was a YouTube series featuring two of my favorite queens: Trixie and Katya. Their web show is a TV show on Vice now, called The Trixie and Katya Show! I also HIGHLY recommend Dragula, which is a drag "subgenre"-the underground of the underground. It's filthy, gory, horror-y, campy, and mind-blowing. I think this show is more "impressive" because the Boulet Brothers, the magnificent hosts, do everything themselves-hair, make-up, costumes. You can tell that it's a passion project because of how much care they put into the show, and they genuinely care about the contestants' growth. It's another platform to showcase the weirder, beautiful outcasts that might end up being pushed away because they don't look like the "others." This show will snatch your wig off.
Have you watched either of these shows? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!